Friday, September 9, 2011

Overdue update

WOW, it has been so long since I have posted! There has been mcuh going on since I lasted told our story.
Our cow Annabelle gave birth to her calf and died a month later from hardware that moved. We got another cow to replace her. This cow was named Taffy. She was open and we milked her until she started to dry up and than we sold her.
Our two steer are grounded to a wing off of the barn until we finish our new fence and get the electrical up since they won't stay in the pasture. The good news for them is that David almost has the fence done. They'll get a short taste of freeedom before they are butchered yet later this fall.
We had 6 chickens and a rooster but one chicken died this morning so we are down to 5 left. We did get 3 ducklings though, just yesterdady. They are adorable. We plan on raising them for eating but I also hear they give better eggs than chickens. We shall see! :)
We had a goat but that didn't last as the goat was REALLY old and arthritic. He had to be put down. :( We hope to get goats in the spring however, as well as pigs, 2 new steer and some fryer chickens. By the spring it will probably be time for some more laying hens too as ours aren't producing as well due their age we think. We are excited for the spring to start up a whole lot more with this farming stuff. For now, we need to winterize and take care of the apples that are coming out of our ears.
We have found 8 apple trees in all and have been giving apples away to everyone but still have a TON of apples. I am a little frustrated that I don't have a stove to can on so I am not sure what to do with all these apples. My glass top stove wont' work for canning so I am sure I will have to be getting a gas stove here soon so I can eventually get canning again. Until then, we have to take the apples to my grandma's to can and that's no fun.
Anyway, there's a quick update and I promise to update more often again. I have missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment